Chashama in collaboration with the Department of Transportation, is offering exhibition space to artists in a highly visible location on Fordham Road. The building provides unobstructed floor to ceiling windows that let in a plethora of natural light, while the surrounding area is a hub for commuters, shoppers, & students the like.
We are currently looking for compelling window installations that will be curated into three group presentations between January 6, 2020 and June 30, 2020. Artwork will be exposed to a high volume of pedestrian traffic to admire, enjoy & be inspired by.
3 Presentations will be installed January 2020 – June 2020.
Presentations Start: January 2020
Applications will be viewed on a rolling basis.
Deadline to Apply: January 31st, 2020
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION SPACE
– Located directly in Fordham Plaza
– Exhibition windows are approximately 18ft tall
– The Space is closed to the public, so the installations will be outward facing
– There is access to a bathroom & slop sink inside the space
– Near to Fordham University, New York Botanical Garden, Bronx Public Library, Poe Park, as well as plenty of cafes and shopping centers.
– Closest MTA train stop – B/D Fordham Road
– Closest MetroNorth Stop – Fordham Road station on the Harlem, New Haven, and New Canaan Metro-North lines is located directly across the street.
– Artist Bio (500 words or less)
– Artist Statement (1500 words or less)
– Brief Presentation Proposal
– 5-10 images or video of recent work (.jpg, .png, .tiff) that relate to the artist statement
– Two (2) professional references – name, contact information, and how you know each other
– Description of your artistic practice – include materials, methods, typical size of work, etc.
– Description of how you will display your work
Important things to note:
– Installations will be on display for a 2 month period.
– All pieces should be family friendly.
– 3-4 Artists or Collectives will participate per exhibit.
– Ideally, installation should either fill an entire window or make use of the window height.
– Artists must be available to install their work.
– Presentations will be organized by independent curator Laura James.
– Artists should be available for a studio visit.
– Exhibitors keep 100% of the price for any work sold in the space. Inquiries and all sales of work are made through the artist. Inquiries/Sales are not managed by Chashama, Laura James or the NYC DOT.
– Access to Materials for the Arts (MFTA) is available on a limited basis
– Exhibitors are fully responsible for the installation and deinstallation of their presentation and for setting up any technical equipment or displays. Chashama does not provide art transportation, hanging materials or tools.
– Exhibitors are responsible for leaving the space in the same condition that they received it in, or better; Chashama provides materials for restoration.
– There is a Security Deposit due at the time of signing presentation agreement – $75 for individual artists, $100 for artist collectives of 3+ individuals. Deposits are refunded in full, if the space is returned in the same condition as it was received.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues or questions regarding this form. We are happy to support you throughout the application process.
Three group exhibitions will be curated between January 6, 2020 and June 30, 2020.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline to apply is January 31, 2020.