Join us in creating one year of exhibitions, film screenings and more at the Bronx Documentary Center.
We want to thank everyone who has joined our efforts in making documentary photo and film available to everyone. Now we have an additional challenge: $7500 in the next 7 days.
The BDC is a 501(c)3 non-profit and we thrive on gifts from donors like you. It’s not too late to make a tax-deductible gift which will bring in-depth discussion and thought-provoking film and photography to wider audiences.
Who We Are
Located in the heart of the South Bronx, the Bronx Documentary Center (BDC) is an accessible, community-oriented gallery for documentary film, photography and photojournalism. In an age where newspapers are cutting staff and magazines are closing, the BDC provides a much needed public space in which to interact with journalism and photography–live and in person.
Founded in 2011 in a formerly abandoned building, the BDC is a unique and exciting crossroads where local students, artists, activists and neighbors mix with leading photographers, journalists and filmmakers. As one neighbor told us, “We bring the world to the Bronx and the Bronx to the world.”
Join us in creating quality programs for all ages.
The next year of programs includes:
- Thought-provoking exhibitions including Stephanie Sinclair’s Too Young to Wed; Benedict J. Fernandez’s historic work on the American civil rights movement; work by emerging Mexican photographers; and Carlos Javier Ortiz’s project on gun violence, We All We Got
- 30 film screenings and post-film panel discussions
- A repeat of our summer outdoor movie screening in local housing projects
- The continuation of our pilot after-school photography program with Bronx youth.
What We Believe In
We believe in the documentary tradition and in the power of photography and film to help build community, expose injustices and create positive social change.
What We’ve Done
Our past exhibitions have included:
- Visions: Tim Hetherington
- Bronx Gardens by Nina Berman
- Seis del Sur: Dispatches from Home by Six Nuyorican Photographers by Joe Conzo, Jr., Ricky Flores, Angel Franco, David Gonzalez, Edwin Pagán Francisco Molina Reyes II
- Invasion: Diaries and Memories of War in Iraq by Gary Knight, Lt. Tim McLaughlin and Peter Maass
- Refugee Hotel by Gabriele Stabile
- Too Young to Wed by Stephanie Sinclair (currently on view)